AC Director’s Report from the March 21-22 2014 Board of Directors Meeting
1) The main issues discussed at the February Board meeting were: 1) Participation in National Public Service Week and United Way; 2) Social media and; 3) the selection of members for the Member Conduct Roster and the Science Advisory & Human Rights in the Workplace Committees.
2) Debi Daviau, PIPSC President, provided an update on the follow up of the February motion supporting the New Brunswick groups subject to the Shared Risk Pension Plan. Debi also introduced, Sylvie Desforges, her new Executive Assistant. Also, Peter Bleyer has been assigned to the position of Special Advisor to the President.
3) The Board approved members for the Member Conduct Roster stipulated the new Dispute Resolution and Discipline Policy that came into effect on February 1, 2014. The policy is aimed at assisting with the resolution of disputes between members and the imposition of corrective measures, including discipline, where necessary. The objective of the new policy is to focus on the promotion and use of informal dispute resolution methods and to provide a framework for dealing with potential misconduct warranting discipline. The Board also approved members for the Science Advisory & Human Rights in the Workplace Committees.
4) Sean McKenny, President of the Ottawa District Labour Council (ODLC), gave a presentation on union participation in the United Way campaign. He also gave an overview of the ODLC and its activities. He emphasized the importance of social action and involvement in community affairs. http://www.ottawalabour.org/
5) The Board discussed union participation in the celebration of National Public Service Week (NPSW). A motion to boycott the event carried. The PSAC National Board of Directors has also reiterated its call for a boycott of NPSW.
6) Stéphane Aubry, CS Group Secretary gave a presentation on why PIPSC should care about social media. He recommended PIPSC should formulate strategy to enable the leveraging social media platforms.
7) Isabelle Roy, PIPSC General Counsel, presented a legal update
8) Don Burns, Part-time VP, provided a status update on bargaining with UNIFOR Local 3011, one of the PIPSC staff unions.
9) I presented two briefing notes on: 1) Conciliation/Strike 101 – Tools to educate and prepare groups that have to make the switch from arbitration to strike as a dispute resolution mechanism as a result of Bill C-4; 2) Union Analytics – How do we define and measure the value proposition of unions.
10) Del Dickson, Chair of the Finance Committee, gave an update of the Value for Money Review. The project is running on a tight schedule with the help of consultants from Deloitte. A survey on the review was sent out to all Advisory Council members. The VFM’s objectives are to examine member participation activities on the one hand and PIPSC operations on the other, to determine if we can achieve efficiency gains and improve effectiveness while maintaining or enhancing the high-quality services we deliver to our members. Del also sought direction from the Board for the 2014 budget exercise.
11) Yvon Brodeur, interim Vice-President, gave a brief presentation on the progress of the Better Together Campaign. The regional directors decided to exchange best practices and operating experience
12) Meetings Dates:
a) Next Board meeting – May 9-10, 2014.
b) Next AC meeting – May 3, 2014.
Kofi Crentsil, AC Director
1) AC webpage
2) Board webpage