AC Director’s Report from the May 27, 2012 Board of Directors Meeting
1) Del Dickson (Chair of the Finance Committee) and Denis Bourguignon (Chief Financial Officer) presented the audited 2011 financial statements. This is the first audit by our new auditors, Deloitte & Touche LLP. The Board approved the statements and they will be posted on the financial portal in preparation for the 2012 AGM. Del and Denis also provided options for the 2013 budget exercise. The Board will be revisiting these options at its June meeting in order to provide direction to the Finance Committee.
2) Sylvain Parent (External Pension Advisor) made recommendations about the PIPSC Pension Plan. They will be discussed by the Board at a future meeting. The pension information is an input into the 2013 budget exercise. Like most employers, the Board has to pay close attention to the pension obligations of the Institute.
3) Eddie Gillis (Chief Operating Officer) and Michel Rodrigue (Chief Information Officer) presented options for operational efficiencies in light of the 2013 budget exercise. Michel also presented a proposal for maintaining business continuity.
4) Eddie Gillis (Chief Operating Officer) and Gary Corbett (President) provided background on the June 10 “Celebrating our Community” event. June 10 marks the beginning of Public Service Week. To mark this week, the Institute will be hosting a not-your-average Public Service Week event by joining the wider Ottawa community for a fun-filled Sunday at the Ottawa Baseball Stadium where the Fat Cats will be playing the Barrie BayCats.
5) Isabelle Roy (General Counsel) gave a legal update.
6) The Board appointed Paul Skinner (BC/Yukon Regional Director) to the vacant seat on the Pension Committee.
7) The Board approved a proposal for the creation of a President’s Task Force on Governance (PTFOG?).
8) Brian Thompson (Atlantic Regional Director) presented a proposal for changing the format of e-mail to members.
9) Al Ravjiani (Ontario Regional Director) presented a proposal for a parade at the Ontario Stewards Council (September 21 & 22) in Toronto. The Board approved a budget for the parade.
10) The Board approved the bylaws of various constituent bodies as recommended by John Courtney, Chair of BLPC. John also presented BLPC’s priorities for 2012.
11) I presented a briefing note on the timely update of www.publicscience.ca on behalf of the Science Advisory Committee (SAC). The associated motion carried and the SAC will present a business case for the requisite resources.
12) Meetings Dates:
a) Next Board meeting – June 20-21, 2012.
b) Next AC Steering Committee meeting – July 7, 2012.
c) Next AC meeting – August 18, 2012.
Kofi Crentsil, AC Director
1) AC webpage:
2) Board webpage: