This page is now archived. Please visit www.pipsc.ca for the new website and update your bookmarks

logo

Advisory Council (AC)

Advisory Council Director Report

Better Together

9 MAY 2015

The Advisory Council Acting Chair Doreen Weatherbie opened the meeting and the following items were addressed by the AC Director.

The following items remain open for consideration:

  • Separate Meeting of TB Groups Chairs and Separate Employers Group Representatives: The motion to the Board pertaining to the request for a separate meeting of TB Group Chairs and one for Separate Employers Group Representatives were addressed by Vice-President Hindle after lunch with questions the VP has on this issue.
  • Policy Pertaining to Sub-Group Presidents Meetings: This has been referred to the By-Laws and Policies Committee.
  • Constituent Body Overlap: There are instances where the executive and membership of a branch are the same as a sub-group executive, which thereby provides them with two allocations. The Board has identified this issue as a concern and is looking at solutions. The AC Director solicited feedback from the assembly which he will bring back to the Board for consideration.

Institute Elections Presentation:

Barry Young Institute Elections Committee Chair addressed the following:

With the new Not-for-Profit Corporation Act (CNCA) stipulating that elections must be held within an organization’s annual general meeting, a legal opinion was sought which suggests that the Institute is currently not in compliance and that the CNCA trumps our existing by-laws.

The Elections Committee therefore approved a new timetable. The date of election would be November 6 at 12 p.m. The timing for this voting deadline is needed to allow the AGM to amend By-Law 22.1 in the morning as it stipulates that the election of Officers and Directors shall take place after the AGM.

A recommendation went to the Board for approval (May) where all this was discussed. At that meeting it was decided to table this item until the June Board so that there could be some consultation. It was suggested that this matter be brought to the May 9th Advisory Council for discussion and recommendation and be brought back to the June Board meeting.

Directors can discuss this with members, taking into consideration that the business has not yet concluded. It was suggested that this matter be added to Regional Councils agendas for full discussion by members.

In the end, and what is being recommended is that the Board recognize that the current by-laws are non-compliant with the Act and in the hierarchy of law, the Act supersedes Institute by-laws. The recommendation is for the Board to disregard its by-laws in this regard and make the change at the 2015 AGM. This is a governance matter that is affected by law, which needs to be addressed, even if it means not conforming with current Institute By-Laws.

Elections Committee is looking at options for panels for the President and Vice-Presidents only. He also spoke to the regulations around campaigning which will be posted to the website.

E-Learning Initiative:

Joanne Harvey Chief of Regional Operations presented the following:

The Institute E-Learning program was formally launched on officially on May 4 2015. Joanne noted that it is hoped that this program will respond to the request of the membership who expressed an interest in self learning. This new format is complementary to our in-house training. At this date, 1786 members have registered. The program provides the ability to stop and go.

Action Items:

  • AC members are strongly encouraged to register for the e:learning program.
  • AC members are to communicate to the Training Officer topics for training.

Legacy Foundation Regional Challenge:

Karen Hall and Doreen Weatherbie reported the results of the Atlantic versus BC/Yukon challenge which began at the February meeting of the Advisory Council. The Atlantic Region is the victor having raised a total of $600. Appreciation was expressed to members in both of these regions for their generosity and participation.

National Joint Council Presentation:

Debbie Cooper presented a general overview of the National Joint Council Presentation is available on the virtual binder for reference.

Impact of the Federal Budget:

Ryan Campbell, Negotiator/Researcher, reported on the impacts of the federal budget. The most noteworthy items for the Institute were the announcements related to sick leave and the interplay on this round of collective bargaining.

Action Item:

  • AC members are to forward to the Staff Resource, departmental communications stemming from the budget if deemed to have an impact on members.

Separate Meeting – TB Group Chairs & Separate Employers Group Representatives

Vice-President Steve Hindle solicited comments to get a full understanding of what is being sought in order to put the necessary mechanisms in place to achieve what is required.

Discussion:

  • S. Dahl spoke to the lack of information at the Advisory Council pertaining to the Separate Employer Groups as it is TB focused. She noted that pension and contracting out are issues faced by her Group; they have similar but disparate needs than TB Groups.
  • S. Buday the intent of the discussion was not to reform the old Group Advisory Council but rather for TB Groups, most of which are here for the Strategic Bargaining Committee, they would just continue to meet to discuss issues, concurrent with the Working Group on Consultation and the Separate Employers Group Representatives would do the same. Once bargaining is over and the Strategic Bargaining Committee is no longer, something will need to be put in place.
  • M. Simard spoke to the need to mobilize Separate Employers Group Representatives. Currently there are approximately 6-7 representatives who attend the AC when in fact the number of representatives is close to 30.
  • T. Kirkby supports the fact there is a need for TB Group Chairs to have an opportunity to meet to discuss common issues.

PIPSC AGM Resolution “F5 - Reduce Cost of PIPSC AGM”

Eddie Gillis, Chief Operations Officer, replied to questions pertaining to AGM costs. He reminded the group to focus on the content of the resolution and not the title whereby the focus is to review the format, frequency and duration of the AGM.

Followed by a Breakout Exercise:

At this point the AC member broke off into breakout sessions to further discuss the format, frequency and duration of PIPSC AGMs.

Action Item:

  • The AC Director and Staff Resource will pull together a summary report from the breakout session.

Next Advisory Council is scheduled for August 22, 2015, at the Delta City Centre.

Report submitted by Glenn Maxwell Advisory Council Director.


Publish Date: 16-JUL-2015 10:49 AM
Recent Posts      
AC Director's Report - March 2017
Publish Date: 24-APR-2017 09:52 AM
 
Broadbent Institute Progress Summit Report 2017
Publish Date: 24-APR-2017 09:32 AM
 
Notice of elections 2016 for AC
Publish Date: 05-OCT-2016 02:00 PM