AC Director’s Report from the November 2-3 2011 Board of Directors Meeting
1) Pursuant to PIPSC By-Law 16.2, the November Board meeting was held immediately before the 92nd Annual General Meeting (AGM).
2) Eddie Gillis (Chief Operations Officer) provided an update on the preparations for the AGM – Agenda & Resolutions. Dan Jones, Marilyn Best and Kofi Crentsil volunteered for the Credentials Committee. Mark Kohli, AGM Chair, was present for the AGM discussion.
3) Debi Daviau (VP) presented a bargaining update. The NR Group has recently reached a tentative agreement with Treasury Board involving the roll-in of their retention allowance.
4) Eddie Gillis (Chief Operations Officer) presented a proposal for collaborating with other public service unions [Canadian Association of Professional Employees (CAPE), and the Association of Canadian Financial Officers (ACFO), Association of Justice Counsel (AJC), Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) and the Canadian Federal Pilots Association (CFPA)] on a coordinated campaign against impending cuts to the public service. The “Professionals Serving Canadians” proposal was approved by the Board.
At the National Joint Council (NJC) annual seminar in Moncton in September 2011, the heads of bargaining agents representing all federal government workers signed the Partnership with Canadians declaration, committing them to continue to put the public interest first in their efforts to strengthen Canada’s future. They also launched a country-wide petition to call on Tony Clement, the President of the Treasury Board, to put critical services and the viability of the long-term social safety net ahead of short-term concerns for reducing the deficit in a fragile economy
5) Michel Rodrigues, Chief Information Officer, presented a media monitoring report for August to October 2011. The report presented the estimated viewers and earned media value of PIPSC-related news stories. Debi Daviau (VP) led a discussion on the use of social media. These could be useful tools to organize and mobilize members.
6) Al Ravjiani (Chair of the Finance Committee) presented the financial statements for July & August 2011. The statements were received and approved.
The Finance Committee made a recommendation for an external auditor; however, approval is required from the AGM (Resolution F-2).
7) Marilyn Best (Chair of the Executive Compensation Committee) provided an update on executive compensation matters.
8) Meetings Dates:
Copyright © The Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada