AC Director’s Report from the February 18-19, 2011 Board of Directors Meeting
1) In the absence of Debi Daviau (VP in charge of collective bargaining portfolio), I presented a report on the February 5 PSLRA Bargaining meeting. The meeting was attended by almost all of the PSLRA Group Presidents; they discussed a coordinated approach to bargaining. Further meetings are planned in the future. (A resolution was passed at the January Board meeting to convene a meeting of PSLRA Groups to discuss bargaining.)
2) Gary Corbett (President) presented a briefing note on a region that had lost its NJC Isolated Post Status and all the benefits and allowances associated with that designation. The issue will be followed up through the National Joint Council (NJC).
3) Don Burns (Part-time VP) gave an update on the status of negotiations with CEP (formerly PISA), a PIPSC Employee union. The Board approved the tentative agreement signed by PIPSC and CEP. CEP has since ratified the agreement.
4) Board members discussed the policy framework for Committees of the Board of Directors.
5) Board members discussed and finalized the composition of the Elections Committee.
6) The October & November 2010 Financial Statements were approved. Al Ravjiani, Chair of Finance Committee, presented a Finance Committee report and distributed a document entitled “Request for Proposal and Evaluation and Selection of Auditor.”
7) Marilyn Best, Chair of the Executive Compensation Committee (ECC), presented her report to the Board. The triennial review of compensation for management and excluded non-management staff is scheduled for 2011.
8) Bonnie Pratt, Prairie/NWT Regional Director, presented a draft process for application, screening, and approval of candidates for steward training. There regional directors will establish common principles.
9) I presented a briefing note on compliance culture to emphasize the role of the Board in promoting a culture of compliance with Institute By-Laws and Policies.
10) I also presented the AC Director’s Report from the February 5, 2011 AC meeting. The AC recommended to the Board that the appropriate forum for creating a coordinated response to Treasury Board demands is a PSLRA Bargaining Group. This would include the Treasury Board Groups as well as the PSLRA 1-2 Groups ie, all Groups falling under the Public Service Labour Relations Board (PSLRB). The Board had referred the issue to the AC at the October 2010 Board meeting.
11) Luc Carrière, NCR Director, presented his first report as Chair of the Working Group on Consultation.
12) Meetings Dates:
a) Next Board meeting – March 25/26, 2011.
b) Next AC Steering Committee meeting – April 9, 2011.
c) Next AC meeting – May 7, 2011.
Kofi Crentsil, AC Director
1) AC webpage: http://www.pipsc.ca/portal/page/portal/website/groups/ac
2) Board webpage: http://www.pipsc.ca/portal/page/portal/website/aboutinstitute/governance/bod
3) Board of Directors - Portfolios and Assignments 2011 http://www.pipsc.ca/portal/page/portal/website/aboutinstitute/governance/bod/portfolios