AC Director’s Report from the September 15-16, 2012 Board of Directors Meeting
1) The Board dealt with the following issues related to the 2012 Annual General Meeting (AGM): Board resolutions (Dues increase; categories of membership; election appeals board); Logistics and Late resolutions.
2) The Board also discussed issues raised by the AGM Chair regarding the use of electronic voting devices at the 2012 AGM. The Board approved the use of an electronic voting system for the 2012 AGM at its March 2012 meeting.
3) The Institute will present a report on the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) to the 2012 AGM. The President will also provide an evaluation report to all members as per By-Law 7 (RIGHTS OF MEMBERSHIP: “At least four (4) weeks before the Annual General Meeting, all members shall be provided with a written evaluation by the President of the effectiveness of the Institute in meeting the objectives in By-Law 2.”)
4) The Board approved a recommendation on the PIPSC server room upgrade presented by Michel Rodrigue (Chief Information Officer). The uptime of the website and the e-mail system was then discussed. The Informatics Section has taken measures to further improve the quality of service.
5) Martin Ranger (PIPSC Legal Counsel) presented a legal update.
6) The Board discussed the status of the Young Professionals Initiative. The NCR has an active program but the status in other regions is less clear. The issue will be further discussed at the next meeting.
7) Gary Farnsworth (Member of the Finance Committee) gave a summary of recent finance committee meetings. Denis Bourguignon (Chief Financial Officer) then presented a recommendation on moving the Institute to a quarterly – instead of monthly – financial reporting schedule as per Institute By-Law 17.5.3. The recommendation was approved by the Board. Quarterly reporting is the industry standard and is also less onerous in terms of resources.
8) The President’s Task Force on Governance (PTFOG) will have its first meeting in October. The purpose of the PTFOG is to study the current governance model of the organization and make recommendations to the Board on how to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the governance processes of the Institute, and align it with current and best governance practices. The members of the PTFOG are: Bonnie Pratt, Brian Thompson, Robert Bowie-Reed, Kofi Crentsil, Don Burns, Gary Corbett (President) and Eddie Gillis (Chief Operating Officer and Executive Secretary).
9) A Working Group (Brian Thompson, Al Ravjiani, Robert Bowie-Reed, Debi Daviau, Kofi Crentsil) was tasked to collect input for discussion in preparation for the 2013 Board Strategic Planning session.
10) Debi Daviau (Vice-President) gave an update on the recent Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HSRDC) Workforce Adjustment (WFA) announcement. Some 900 PIPSC members, including many stewards, are affected.
11) Meetings Dates:
a) Next Board meeting – November 14-15, 2012.
b) Next AC meeting – October 27, 2012.
Kofi Crentsil, AC Director
1) AC webpage
2) Board webpage