CFIA S&A Newsletter
Hello S&A Members
Here’s the latest news on a number of fronts:
1. We have had two rounds of bargaining, December 2015 and February, 2016, with the third coming up in April, 2016. We exchanged offers in December but there is no agreement on any terms yet. PIPSC is coordinating positions for all their bargaining groups on the core issues of sick leave, scientific integrity, harassment, and contracting out. The CFIA hasn’t yet provided us their offer on sick leave, but other Treasury Board groups have received sick leave offers.
2. We’re preparing for when we receive the Official Personal Notification (OPN) of our new SR classifications. The process has taken longer than expected because 262 members submitted comments so far (about one third of affected employees). We hope that the issues raised have been addressed in the final versions of the role descriptors, but if not, we need to be ready to act quickly. We will have only 35 days from the date when the OPNs are received to submit grievances. Watch for a separate email with more detailed info on the grievance process, forms, and contacts.
3. Are you part of a Union Management Consultation Committee, an OSH Committee, or a Diversity Committee? We’d like to hear from you. We’re building a list of members who take part in these important committees and will arrange a teleconference call in April to share information and strategies and start re-building our network of active members. Watch for an invitation to the teleconference call.
4. We just elected new executives for the S & A Group:
President, Hussien Bashah; Vice-President, Umadatt Singh; Treasurer, Terry Petrow; Secretary, Joyce Garofalo; Chief Steward, Andre Youssef; Members at Large, Maryse Valiquette, Sylvie D’Alcantara, Washington Gwayumba, Kristy Jackson, Zeljko Ruzicic, and Katie Oppen.
We have room for one more person on the executive. If you are interested in getting involved, or know someone who would help us make progress, please contact any one on the executive.
5. André Youssef is the new Chief Steward for the S & A Group. If you have any Steward-related questions or ideas or issue you want to share with the exec or if you would like to find out more about being a Steward, please contact André. We will be launching a campaign to recruit new Stewards and to increase our support of current Stewards.
6. We’re also looking for workplace contacts, (not necessarily Stewards) that would be willing to take on looking after posting info on the bulletin boards in the local offices. Members might appreciate seeing current news articles and notices of events. We will send out items that you could post and coordinate distribution of any local news that you think should be shared. If you’re willing to take on this role, please contact any member of the Communications Committee (Hussien, Katie, Umadatt and Kristy).
7. If you haven’t yet got your PIPSC calendar for 2016/17 or if you would like a supply of calendars that you can distribute in your office please let us know. We will send you some.
That`s all for now. Please feel free to contact us at any time. More news to come.
CFIA Scientific and Analytic Group Executive
March 21, 2016