NR Collective Bargaining Synopsis
On August 24, 2011 the NR Group exchanged proposals with the Treasury Board. Only the negotiators from each party were present.
Following is a synopsis of the parties’ respective positions:
The Institute has a very limited number of demands.
- Rolling-in the terminable/retention allowance into base pay
- Adding two (2) steps to all pay scales except EN-SUR
- Re-structuring EN-SUR pay scales, as internal pay relativities are out of line.
- Increase vacation benefit and provide more flexible vacation management for newly hired employees
- An economic increase to base salaries
The employer has produced a 35 page deck of demands.
- Many of these are minor claw-backs
- Many seek to enhance employer discretion in deciding if an employee is to be paid or take time off
- Severance pay – the employer seeks to delete severance when an employee retires or quits; the employer is offering to recognize current entitlements and increasing them to employees with less than 10 years of service; further, current employees would make an election to cash-in in part or in totality current severance entitlement or wait until the end of their employment. Severance would no longer accumulate of as of October 1, 2011
- Pay -the employer is seeking three (3) year agreement expiring spring 2014, but has not tabled any monies.
The parties are scheduled to meet October 25 to 27 and November 22 to 24, 2011.
Al Arseneault, President
NR Bargaining Team