PANEL RELEASES REPORT ON FEDERAL SUPPORT FOR R & D
Earlier today, the panel conducting the Review of Federal Support to Research and Development, launched on October 14, 2010, released its report to the government.
It contains 6 principal recommendations (excerpts from news release):
- The creation of an Industrial Research and Innovation Council (IRIC) to deliver the federal government's business innovation programs.
- Simplification of the tax credit system used to support small and medium-sized businesses.
- Make business innovation one of the core objectives of procurement.
- Transform the institutes of the National Research Council into a series of large-scale, collaborative centres involving business, universities and the provinces.
- Help high-growth innovative firms access the risk capital they need through the Business Development Bank of Canada
- Establish a clear federal voice for innovation and work with the provinces to improve coordination.
We are currently studying the report in depth to determine its impact on our members and on Canadians. An update on this issue will be posted on the PIPSC Web site as soon as possible.