2011 ATLANTIC REGION STEWARD OF THE YEAR AND PROVINCIAL STEWARD AWARDS
1. CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Atlantic Regional Executive Awards Committee is requesting nominations for the Atlantic Regional 2011 Steward Awards. All nominations are due September 16th, 2011, by 5:00 pm and can be sent to Catherine Pinks by email or fax to 902-422-8516 or 1-800-238-7427.
This award is open to all stewards in the Atlantic Region who have a minimum of three (3) years experience.
2. NOMINATION / SELECTION CRITERIA
Nominations will be received and a selection made based on the following activities:
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a steward.
- Engaging new employees and making them aware of PIPSC and encouraging them to sign a membership form and providing information about PIPSC.
- Encouraging RANDs at the worksite to join PIPSC.
- Through informal discussions, making members aware that the collective agreement was achieved by their union and the conditions in it are their rights.
- Encouraging members to attend and participate in Sub-group, Branch and/or Provincial Group meetings.
- Listening to complaints from members fairly, clarifying the problem and desired solution.
- Attempting to resolve problems informally through meetings with management.
- Gathering the necessary information needed to present a grievance.
- Guiding members through the grievance process and giving them support throughout.
- Participating in Sub-group, Branch, Group, Provincial Group or Committees.
- Continuous Learning - participation in the regional training school and other training events
- Other activities important to the membership.
This is not an all inclusive list. All nominations will be reviewed carefully, rated and ranked based on the selection criteria.
3. NOMINATION PROCESS
Nominations may come from members directly. They should include the steward's full name and a description of the steward's successes and qualities. The description should be no more than 300 words.
You will receive a written acknowledgment that your nomination package has been received. Please note that the Executive requests that a nomination not be revealed to a candidate before being considered by the Atlantic Regional Executive. The Atlantic Regional Executive will choose the Steward of the Year and make the presentation at the Atlantic Steward Council in October 2011.
Role of a Steward
Responsibilities of a Steward