BC/Yukon Region Steward of the Year Award 2011
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
The Regional Executive is requesting nominations for the BC/Yukon 2011 Steward of the Year Award. The deadline for nominations is August 10, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.
Please send your nominations to Cynthia Pang or by fax to the Vancouver regional office, at 1.800.330.1988 or 604 688.8290.
All stewards in the BC/Yukon region are eligible.
Stewards should be recognized for outstanding work on behalf of the Institute. Please use the following criteria in your decision making. These are areas in which stewards are expected to be active.
1. Introduced him/herself to new employees and made them aware of the Institute, encouraged them to sign a membership form and provided them with information about the Institute.
2. Encouraged Rands at the worksite to join the Institute.
3. Through informal discussions, made members aware of their collective agreement, union and their rights.
4. Encouraged members to attend and participate in Group, Sub-Group and Branch activities.
5. Listened to members’ complaints, clarified the problem and the desired solution.
6. Attempted to resolve problems informally through meetings with management.
7. Gathered the necessary information needed to present a grievance.
8. Guided members through the grievance process and gave them support throughout.
Nominations may come from members directly. They should include a description of the steward’s activities and qualities. The description should be no more than 300 words. Include the steward’s full name and an estimate of the period of time served as a steward. Nominators must include their own full name and contact information (e-mail and phone number).
The BC/Yukon Regional Executive will choose the Steward of the Year and make the presentation at the BC/Yukon Steward Council on October 14 - 15, 2011.