BC/Yukon Regional Executive Meeting Delta Burnaby August 14, 2010
PRESENT: Dan Jones
1. Welcome Daryl
2. Agenda approved with additions h-k m/s Ray/Jerome- carried
3. Minutes from June 10, 2010, approved m/s Ray/Carol-Ann- carried
4. Review action items from June 10, 2010
a. issue for board to decide re: application appeals-board will keep as is
b. Ray wrote resolution re: recruitment of stewards
c. ACTION ITEM: Evan- deferred until next meeting as Evan away
d. Dan- re: Ottawa office re: specialists in different areas for EROs to consult with
ACTION ITEM- defer to EVAN
e. Regional Council in Banff-
ACTION ITEM: Dan still investigating
f. Dan - Swat team: ERO availability -misconceptions re: what was asked for. Office
states always someone available- i.e.: Dan and Gary... Seen as political issue vs. staff
5. Regional Directors report:
a. Very busy summer for director. Several trips to Ottawa for various committees...
b. By-laws/policy committee very busy with backlog and new requests
c. ECC submitting resolution to defer next meetings to next year until job descriptions done
d. no report re: status of Staff unions negotiations
e. Very busy fall as well with committee meetings etc.
f. Oct 13 is Strategic HR meeting, deals with TB staffing issues. Dan requests one volunteer to attend this meeting with him. Jerome, Carol-Ann volunteered-Dan to decide who will attend with him. Last meeting in Nov. 2009, decided TB staffing for Olympics, appointments without competitions. This year reports on staffing initiatives... Many other union representatives and TB Employers to attend
6. Regional Office report
a. Harinder covering for Evans vacation. Many vacation days for staff.
b. Canadian Tourism work force adjustment affecting 8-10 members with lay-offs.
c. Admin Assist position still vacant and NOT posted- filled with temp
ACTION ITEM: Dan will investigate
d. Preparations underway for Steward Council then will work on Basic Training
e. Hiring for new ERO for office is on hold.
ACTION ITEM: Dan will investigate
7. Reports from Committees of the Board:
a. Committee on Human Rights:
-John Wong- wants more involvement with Human Rights in region-Dan will review with John. Members encouraged to contact John with any concerns/issues email to: firstname.lastname@example.org . No meeting since last minutes at Regional Council
b. Science Advisory Committee:
- Last meeting July 17th. Briefing note sent to Board this week re: public science campaign to have event every 6 months until next symposium in 2012. Members feel muzzled re: climate change. Also, strategic science steering committee has been developed to integrate science groups. Symposium proved a deficiency in communications-this is now being worked on.
-Public Science Campaign-SAC wants to give some direction to science groups. Want to involve CS group.
-SAC wants to work closer with science based UMCCs at national level
-discussion re: devaluing of science sector
-Daryl Wong is regional representative; Ray is chair
c. Bylaws and Policy Committee:
-as stated in Directors report
d. Member Services Committee:
- NAVCAN has unique issues therefore has a stand-alone executive training
-Regional Training budgets reviewed and noted surpluses, therefore monies can be used for OHS and Executive training provided training takes place prior to year end.
-mobilization training workshop and training may be offered with other training sessions
-pilot for "duty to accommodate" to take place next few months
-pilot for "anti-bullying" to take place before year end
-pocket guides being developed
-Training for interest based negotiations training available in Feb 2011
-Steward recruitment brochures available and to be distributed at Steward Council
-Jerome is representative-please contact him with any questions/issues
- next meeting in Sept, therefore no new info since Regional Council
f. Finance committee:
-currently doing well financially and in surplus at this moment; probably due to increase in membership
-discussion re: increasing agency positions and the need for PIPSC to support members
- Dan sits on Resolution sub-committee to review resolutions submitted for national AGM. Do financial calculations...
g. Elections committee:
-first meeting in June. Elections panel will be September 23, and will be available for viewing as web cast.
Tom is representative.
Call for elections for president. Posted on website
8. Old Business:
a. Rand sign-up contest: is posted on website. Off agenda
ACTION ITEM: Carol-Ann to call Branch Presidents to follow-up
b. Promotional items for councils:
-discussion re: yes the executive would like promo items but must be useful, PIPSC appropriate;
-discussion re: monies to be used for promoting PIPSC at events- voted "no" at regional council.
-Regions are now planning golf tournaments for charity by PIPSC, this was discussed favourably as an option for BC/Yukon Regional Council next year
-discussion re: no promo items for everyone at meeting but recognize "unsung hero" i.e.: give gift; or use monies for funding Branches and Groups to buy gifts for their own special stewards at local AGMs.
-may wait until something extraordinary comes up and purchase then for meetings.
-form sub-committee to assess -Tom and Simone, Wanda and Carol-Ann will work with this
c. Joint Regional council with Prairie Region
-still under discussion and Denis is on vacation; Prairie region is in agreement
9. New Business:
a. Lunch and Learns:
-apply by filling in application form on steward web-site
b. Dates of future meetings and leads for events/meetings
-? date teleconference re: steward of the year
ACTION ITEM: Harinder will speak with Cynthia re: date
ACTION ITEM: Dan will email dates
-October 14, Regional Exec meeting, prior to steward council Oct 15,16
-November 18,19,20-Basic Training-downtown Vancouver
-December 7, 8, or 9th Regional Exec meeting, prior to open house
-ACTION ITEM: Cynthia will email dates once location chosen
-location Steward council for 2012-extra monies lends to outside of Vancouver
-discussion on different locations for future council meetings
c. Updating websites for BC/Yukon on regional and national websites
-as agreed to by the executive all training/meetings to be posted on website
- as well as the minutes to regional
ACTION ITEMS: Cynthia to post minutes on websites
d. Reviewing/revising Regional Executive members roles/duties:
Vice Chair: Jerome
Chair of Strategic Planning Sub Com: Wanda
Chair of Training Sub Com: Jerome, until December when National committee reps are chosen , as this position must be rep for member service com.
Lead for Steward Council: Daryl
Lead for Open House: Tom
Lead for Basic Training in Nov: Dan
Lead for Advanced Training in Apr: to be determined
Lead for Regional Council 2011: to be determined
Communication Branch Liaison: Carol-Ann
e. Discussion on Steward Council
-plenary sessions Friday
-steward training Saturday am
-caucuses Saturday pm
f. Financial interim report:
-see report by Tom
-zingers and lanyards are in and will be available at steward council
-considering future expenses-expect a surplus to be carried over
g. Steward of the Year
h. Newsletter by Regional Exec
ACTION PLAN: Carol-Ann will bring in template and examples from other Regions for next meeting
i. AGM delegate selection
-do we need to change by-laws to ensure appropriate representation to national AGM?
-Also, if Regional Executives are given priority to attend national AGM would that be a recruiting incentive for members to run for executive?
-To be discussed further at next meeting
j. funding request for Jerome for approx $650.00 for "duty to accommodate" pilot
Motion made by Ray to fund Jerome to go to Pilot. m/s Simone/ Carol-Ann carried
Member services committee have requested that chairs of Regional training committees request funding from Region to attend this pilot. Also for regional directors to go to Board to request monies returned to Region
k. open house- possibly Wed Dec 7
ACTION ITEM: Simone will check out possible DND location, date
l. CPP nurses- is a political issue and referred to Board
10. Branch Reports- deferred
11. Departmental Reports- deferred
12. Strategic Planning Committee report- see minutes August 13, 2010- to review Vision Statement next meeting
13. Training Committee report- see minutes August 13, 2010
14. Meeting adjourned at 1610hr m/s Ray/ Carol-Ann carried
15. Next meeting October 14, 2010 at Vancouver Delta Suites