BC YUKON REGIONAL EXECUTIVE MEETING MINUTES
Date: Thursday, October 14, 2010
Time: 9:00 - 5:00 Location: 430, TD Canada Trust Boardroom, Centre for Dialogue
PRESENT: Dan Jones Daryl Wong Simone Gardezy Jerome Fransblow Wanda Aschacher Carol-Ann Lonsdale Ray Lauzier Tom Chang Evan Heidinger
1. Approval of the agenda
Motion: Ray & Carried Jerome 2nd
2. Approval of previous minutes for teleconference Sept 20, 2010 m/c Jerome & Carol-Anne & August 14, 2010 minutes m/c Tom & Carol-Anne
3. Steward of the Year Award ( Wanda questioned); criteria discussed , Evan - criteria were published on website with reference material – since 2002 more formalized – Regional Exec recognized as a steward of year only once
ERO’s very active in the process & past were primary in putting forth candidates & now nomination is more open Wanda – Branches should be more involved in nomination process.
*Action Item: Put forward to New Regional Council as an issue- agreed by all.
*Dan: Strategic Planning committee to review:
1) Issue of steward engagement/ involvement in nomination process of the Steward of the Year
2) To review the process of selection
4. Date of Dec. open house – Dec.8th, 2010, Hamilton Street Bar & Grill
Beatty Street Armory was open but it was too expensive of an option
5. Review of Regional Constitution: Carol-Anne & Wanda
*standing item Dec. 10 meeting – plan deadline for Regional Council (4 weeks before to be mailed out)
6. Panel for Steward Council - Wanda questioned the selection process – ERO explained that the facilitator is responsible to select the panel
7. The BC/Yukon newsletter - Carol-Anne editor – decided to select the Ontario Region format & a copy submitted for review as well as a B.C.-Yukon mock-up. Agreement regarding selection & content. Communications @ HQ to assist with template.
Dan: production recommended three times/yr, (Sept./Jan./April as options)
* Tom: Action Item: Deferred to Strategic Planning Committee to discuss logistics
8. PIPSC policy on RTW advisory committees : Jerome – National Consultation committees have concerns as PIPC has a policy on this –Regional Executive request their director report on this issue at the next meeting as it is currently before the board.
9. Evan discussed history of policy organization in this complicated situation - advisory or active review board concerns regarding confidentiality concerns & roles of sitting on a board as being in agreement with policies & then conflict of representing members. ERO’s & Evan met with Mackie/Chase regarding steward development program.
10. PSLRB training – (Jerome) 10 applicants at present with $5000.00 allocated for Mediation training (travel cost & wage split with employer). Funding is an issue. Therefore, due to budget constraints, the Executive feedback regarding selection criteria was requested.
Agreement the selection criteria priority is given to:
1) the steward’s location & geographical attendance in Victoria or Vancouver
2) the level of training and;
3) to ERO’s for selection advice regarding activity.
Suggestion to Member services Committee - future requests for training should include “why steward wants to attend”
11. Board reports:
a. Regional Office Report: Evan: Regional office staffing is stable, Harinder is away x 6 weeks (19 Oct. 10- 30 Oct. 10) Arlene & Evan to do Basic Steward’s training. No OSH training this year, Chief Regional Operations Manager position is in process of competition which closes on the 22 Oct. 2010. No reassignment of regional responsibilities in years, on Monday 20 Oct. 2010 on agenda for their meeting –effective date of implementation likely Dec. 2010. Staffing –temporary administrative assistant position ongoing – controlled by National office. Steward’s council, Basic training in Nov. 2010.
b. Regional Director’s report: Dan submitted your report online. BOD meeting 29/30 Oct. 2010, WGH AGM in 1 or 2 Dec. 2010.
c. Bylaws & Policy Committee report conflict of schedule therefore representatives are going to a joint finance committee & travel committee this weekend. Regional Director’s report in process for National AGM. Working on the backlog & is meeting directly with committees, Workload is high & ongoing.
d. Human Rights in the Workplace: John Wong’s submission noted (attached).
e. Elections Committee: note online candidate’s responses online –discussion regarding the quality of taping. Dec 1st at 5 pm: Deadline for Ballots. Results by Dec 2, 2010. Noted Victoria Branch interested in online election process for AGM.
f. Finance Committee: no report
g. Member’s Services Report: Jerome – report in process of being forwarded, submissions- NAV CAN training approved, PRSLB training approved, JOSH & Executive training outside of Regional training school as stand alone are approved. This needs to be included in line budget for next year. MSC motion to BOD for online store of PIPSC promotional items for purchase to be up & running soon therefore store items will not be on display at AGM. Handbook in process of development as a constituent body manual. Steward certification process presentation from Gary Corbett tomorrow at Stewards Training. ( Mackie Chase – UBC & Ellen Cray - QI piece work collaboratively on developing a curriculum). Mentoring program – deferred. Regional stewards – different rates of pay dependant on steward’s status i.e., LOA’s – case–by-case review occurring at present. Steward approval & renewal process – if denied application – appeal process now present. National Duty to Accommodate training attended by Jerome. Kudos to Regional Executive for supporting his attendance. Discussed the program & training/development of stewards. BOD denied more than 2 MSC attending anti-bullying training- BC Regional representative funding not supported at this time.
h. PRQC : nursing vignette done & will be presented at AGM. Letter by Joanne Bray, PIPSC general council to different Assoc./Registered bodies in process. Next meeting next mont.
i. Science Advisory Committee: Ray – result of July meeting requested BOD to bring fwd science integrity & capacity –re: climate change effects or member’s. Science campaign rolls out next week prior to Science symposium. Roll-out planned? Nov. 2010 to maximize press exposure. Booth @ AGM planned. Darryl – lots of changing chairs - continuity required. BOD is looking at this at present.
12. Finance update. Tom reported
Motion: To fund a contingency of Harry Walker’s attendance at CRA’s Award of Excellence. m/s Ray & Carol-Anne – Approval to fund denied
13. Promotional items: Tom: Model of tote/backpack wheeled bag presented. $38.00 + embroidery + tax, Min. 100 -$4256.00 with plan to be distributed at Regional Council, Steward training & gifts at AGM’s. Regional delegates for 10 AGM can be accommodated with an order. (Cost of $6382.00/150) Approved ordering & funding 100 packs with 20 to be completed prior to Nov. 20, 2010.
14. Retirement session: Tom email to Dan that member’s not able to attend as the course filled up quickly – feedback to PIPSC - NHQ – timely feedback - next week required.
15. Venue Selection discussed. Sheraton in Richmond option planned for Executive meeting in Feb. 2010 – dates dependant on BOD schedule TBC.
16. Strategic Human Resources Committee planning session: Dan subcommittee of Pacific council - with union advisory involvement. Last year 2010 transportation legacy plan & gateway to career mobility. Plan to meet 2x/yr. Jerome – DG’s & RD from 11 different departments – update 2010 transportation – 31.6% reduction of employees driving in core downtown. Policy analysts exchange with different departments – difficulty in 2-way process. Discussed diversity & equity. Internal Career Festival - recruitment Jan. 12, 2011 within Fed Service. Discussed changes in staffing in federal services & use of resources. Next year – career development, duty to accommodate & mental health & TOR, 1x/yr only, & no quorum for decisions discussed.
17. Rand Contest : Winners Michael Kreuzcamp, Phil Choo
18. Agency Nurses; Wanda – are they members, & should be covered? Contracting out issue discussed.
19. Unsung Hero Award"- for further discussion at strategic planning committee. Jerome brought it fwd at MSC.
Adjourned @ 1600 m/s Ray /Carol-Anne