This page is now archived. Please visit www.pipsc.ca for the new website and update your bookmarks

logo

Prairie/Northwest Territories Region

MEETING - PRAIRIE/NORTHWEST TERRITORIES REGIONAL EXECUTIVE MEETING HELD AT - Edmonton PIPSC Office

START TIME 9:00 AM
END TIME 4:00 PM
DATE July-10-2010

PERSONS PRESENT

Bonnie Pratt, Regional Director
Joanne Bouchard, Regional Vice-president and Small Branch Representative
Gary Farnsworth, Secretary-Treasurer
Mike Buchmann, Calgary Branch Representative
Yash Kalra, Edmonton Branch Representative
Pamela Kubicz, Co-Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch Representative
Carl Lynn, Saskatoon Branch Representative
Bonny Manz, Regina Branch Representative
Nancy McCune, Small Branch Representative
Grace Chychul, PIPSC Edmonton Staff
Christine Freeman, Co-Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch Representative, Observer

REGRETS - none

CALL TO ORDER

Bonnie called the meeting to order at 9:00 AM.

1. APPROVAL OF JULY 10, 2010 AGENDA

The agenda was amended by adding the following:
9.0 Regional Bylaws
9.9 Regional Representatives
The agenda as amended was approved. Mike/Carl

2. MINUTES of PREVOUS MEETING

2.1 The Minutes of the May 27, 2010 as amended were approved. Yash/Bonny
2.2 Business arising from minutes - None
2.3 Logo Contest
Bonnie will share all submissions after submission deadline closes on July 31. All executive members will have a vote.

3. FINANCIAL REPORT

Gary has just taken over duties from Barrie Wickware and he thanked Barrie for the smooth transition. Gary said that we had just received our annual allocation. He also said that he would be working on a revised budget for the rest of this fiscal year and start to work on the budget for next year.

A motion to pay approved expenses was carried. Mike / Nancy

4. ROUND TABLE

Verbal reports were provided by the executive members. Many comments were made about the impact of viewing Poor No More at PRC. Branch and subgroup presidents appreciated receiving copies of the DVD and wished that PIPSC would make more available, not only for distribution to our own membership but to other groups in our communities.

Bonny Manz said that this would be her last PRE meeting and Cam Teichrob would now be the representative from the Regina branch.

5. STEWARD TRAINING

5.1 Composition of Training Committee- Brian Bell Report and frequency of meetings

Bonnie highlighted elements of the Brian Bell report "Draft Regional Training Committee Terms of Reference" which provided a framework for the composition of the training committee and the frequency of meetings. Having a separate training committee was efficient as it didn’t take-up valuable PRE time and a small committee was recommended. Current committee consists of Mike, Carl, and Pam. Confirming members of the training committee was tabled until the next PRE.

2. Training 2011 –
2.1. Date and locations – Basic Steward training is set for February in Edmonton. We want to make sure one regional office is not over extended when finalizing locations.

2.2. Courses – available courses are on the PIPSC website
3. Labour School 2011
Grace went over the available courses. Consensus was that the courses offered should reflect what the current needs of the stewards were and the current issues in the workplace. Grace suggested reviewing the evaluations from the past Labour School(s) to find out what people in the region wanted to see offered. The training committee will research and present their suggestions at PRE in the fall.

6. PRAIRIE/NWT REGIONAL COUNCIL

6.1 Regina (May 28-29, 2010) – review
Consensus was the facilities were adequate and the food was great.

6.2 Winnipeg (May 27-28, 2011at Delta Hotel)
6.2.1 Hotel Confirmation – Delta has been confirmed
6.2.2 Agenda – Guest Speakers, training Friday afternoon
This is evolving, we may not be able to finalize until after the fall elections.
6.2.3 Social Events – have been taken care of.

7. REGIONAL STEWARDS COUNCIL – SEPTEMER 10-11 - WINNIPEG

7.1 Agenda – Neil Harden is working on the agenda, Bonnie will keep us apprised.

7.2 Hospitality – Grace is verifying.

8. BOARD OF DIRECTORS REPORT

Bonnie presented a verbal report of recent board activities.

9. OTHER BUSINESS

9.0 Regional Bylaws

Bonny Manz sits on the national by-law committee. She presented a hard copy of some suggestions she had for changes to the regional by-laws Any changes to the by-laws must be approved by the national committee before they are voted on at PRC. She suggested that all executive members review the by-laws and one person take the lead. Bonny said that she would be available to assist before changes were forwarded to the national committee.

A motion to appoint Pam as lead was carried. Gary / Yash

9.1 AGM – Regional Resolution

A resolution about contracting out was approved at PRC. The wording needs to be tightened up before being presented at AGM. Carl will assist the mover, Maureen Haakenson, and Bonny volunteered to offer any guidance as well. The final wording has to be submitted by August 6th.

9.2 AGM – Delegates and Observers

There was some discussion over difficulties delegates were having in registering on the portal. There was also discussion about how many observers the region would finance. It was agreed to finance two observers and if they obtained delegate status there would be no replacements put forth.

Motion to send Stuart Kidd and Gary Farnsworth was carried. Nancy / Pam

9.3 Steward of the Year Nominations

Discussion about how to solicit more nominations took place. Bonnie and Gary volunteered to draft an email to go out to all members in the region. It was also decided to have a draw for all the nominators for a PIPSC prize package.

9.4 Staffing Situation in the Edmonton Regional Office

Grace talked about the staffing situation in the Edmonton office and assured everyone the office was getting staffed up and that members concerns were being taken care of.

9.5 Banking Authorizations

Bonnie said that she had received the new banking authorization package and would be forwarding it on to Joanne and Gary.

9.6 Data Hunt – Employee Protection

Pam expressed concern about the personal data of regional, branch and group executive members which was available on the PIPSC website. She suggested that there should be password entry to that information.

9.7 Small Branch Reps and Inactive Branches

A member from the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch presented two documents about small branches. One dealt changes to the number of small branch representatives on the PRE and the other dealt with how to deal with inactive branches. The documents were sent back to the branch for review and formal submission to the executive.

9.8 PRC Elections

A member from the Winnipeg and Southern Manitoba Branch presented a document to implement formal procedures that would constitute the Prairie/Northwest Territories election policy. The document was sent back to the branch for review and formal submission to the executive.

9.9 Institute Guests

Strong feelings were expressed over how some invited national guests to regional events backed out at the last minute.

10. NEXT MEETING

The next meeting is scheduled for September 10, 2010 in Winnipeg.

11. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting adjourned at 15:45. Yash/Carl


Publish Date: 06-OCT-2010 10:06 AM
Prairie NWT Logo