Basic Steward Training Session
DATE: November 27, 28, 29 (2.5 days)
LOCATION: Inn at the Forks, Winnipeg, Manitoba
PARTICIPANTS: Maximum = 20 participants
The Prairie/NWT Region will be presenting a “Basic Training Course” on Thursday, November 27, 2014 commencing at 8:30 a.m. and continuing through to 12:00 (noon) on Saturday, November 29, 2014. Travel is to be arranged so that participants are able to attend the entire session.
It should be noted that to attend this course, stewards should have previously submitted a “Steward Application” to Natalie Tessier at the National Office. If you would like to complete a Steward Application Form, please go to this link. Upon completion, please fax the application to Natalie at 613-228-9048 or toll-free at 1-800-465-7477.
Upon completion of the training sessions, stewards will have:
- reflected on the purpose of unions in the workplace and in Canadian society as a whole and on the reasons why they became active in the union;
- developed a better understanding of their role as steward;
- familiarized themselves with the structure and internal functioning of the Institute;
- have an overview of the problem-solving resources available to help address issues of concerns to members they represent; and
- identified strategies and approaches to help build the union in their respective workplace.
The usual rules regarding expenses will apply concerning hotel arrangements, meals, travel expenses and salary reimbursement. See the “PIPSC Travel Policy” which is located online at www.pipsc.ca.
Participants will be contacted to confirm registration and be provided further details regarding the training session. Priority will be given to new stewards who have not yet received Basic Training.
If you have any questions, please contact the Winnipeg Office at 204-942-1304, x3320, or toll-free at 1-800-665-0094, x3320.
Office Administrator - PIPSC Winnipeg Office