This page is now archived. Please visit www.pipsc.ca for the new website and update your bookmarks

logo

Québec Region

QUÉBEC REGIONAL COUNCIL EXECUTIVE MEETING FEBRUARY 11, 2011 AT 8:45 A.M. AUBERGE GODEFROY, BÉCANCOUR

1. CALL TO ORDER

2. READING AND APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

3. READING AND ADOPTION OF THE LAST MEETING MINUTES

4. BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

5. ELECTION COMMITTEE – FOLLOW-UP

6. TREASURY AND FINANCE COMMITTEE REPORT

7. REGIONAL AND NATIONAL COMMITTEES' REPORTS

8. 2011 REGIONAL COUNCIL – UPDATE

9. REGIONAL COUNCIL RENEWAL – DECEMBER 2011

10. 2011 QR SC – FOLLOW-UP

11. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENTS FOR THE QUÉBEC REGION

12. PORTFOLIO ASSIGNMENTS FOR THE EC AND REGIONAL DIRECTORS

13. QFC COMMITTEE UPDATE

14. CREATION OF NEW CENTRE DU QUÉBEC BRANCH – FOLLOW-UP

15. RELOCATION OF FEDERAL EMPLOYEES – QUÉBEC CITY

16. REGIONAL OFFICE OPEN HOUSE IN DECEMBER 2011

17. TEAM-BUILDING SESSION

18. OTHER BUSINESS

19. ROUNDTABLE

20. NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURNMENT

QUÉBEC REGIONAL COUNCIL EXECUTIVE MEETING MINUTES

February 11, 2011

1- Call to Order (1st Meeting of the Year):

The meeting was called to order at 8:45 a.m. by Yvon, who chaired it. Present: Denis Arsenault, Yvon Brodeur, Richard East, Benoît Guay, Martine Lacroix, Lyne Larocque, Sylvie Mercier, Réjean Michaud, Steve Parent, Pierre Richard and Robert Tellier.
Absent:
Guest:

2- Reading and Approval of the Agenda:

No items were added to the agenda. Approval moved by Richard, seconded by Martine. Carried unanimously.

3- Reading and Adoption of the Last Meeting Minutes:

Executive members having received advance copies, the last meeting minutes were not reread before being adopted unanimously.

4- Business Arising from the Previous Minutes:

December 16 minutes:

-Item #4 (by Yvon): O.K. Yvon gave us a copy of the survey and of the replies obtained from those who did not attend the last SC. We can only conclude that changing the date resulted in lower attendance in 2010.

-Item #5 (by Benoît and Robert): O.K. Robert will look after having some twenty photos posted on the Québec Region website.

-Item #8(b) (by Pierre): O.K. Report on Professional Recognition received from Gabriel Drouin.

-Item #8(c) (by Richard): Richard handed us a statistical report covering the last 11 years, which shows the male-to-female breakdown between the number of applications received from boys and girls, the number forwarded for evaluation and the number receiving scholarships. Except for just one year (2009), one must conclude there has been systematic discrimination against boys. We have some reservations about the fact that a permanent Institute employee performs the first screening and the evaluations are done after that. Robert suggested that the job done by the permanent employee could be performed by a sub-committee composed of 3 individuals separate from the evaluators. Yvon will draft a revised process and present it to the BOD.

Action: Yvon

5- Election Committee – Follow-up:

Gilbert Bégin's and Richard East's names were submitted as possible representative on the Election Committee. Yvon recommended Richard's candidacy to the committee's chair. The decision will be announced later.

Action: Yvon

6- Treasury and Finance Committee Report:

Robert tabled a balanced 2011 budget for the Québec Region. The budgets for the Regional Council, the Stewards Council, our Executive meetings and the Training Committee will be sent by Robert in the coming weeks for approval. He will also e-mail us a recent Treasury Report. Lastly, Robert stressed that we have to obtain Regional Council approval for the "Trust Officer" status we have given to Benoît.

7- Regional and National Committees' Reports:

a) Training and Member Services: Benoît substituted for Sylvie at the last MSC meeting and little of importance was discussed. However, following a decision on a mediation course, we asked Yvon to report to the BOD the decision made by Don Burns to authorize an Ontario steward to take training courses in British Columbia. Sylvie informed us that the training school will be held February 16 to 19, 2011, and that, at last count, 39 members should be attending, in addition to 6 EROs. Robert suggested creating a special "Steward of the Year" pin; he will take his suggestion directly to Paul Godin. Robert also mentioned the fact that stewards should be more involved in delivering training, such as the courses on consultation. This will be discussed at our June meeting at Taureau Lake. Lastly, Sylvie informed us of the training schedule and coming events for 2011, to which has been added a Human Rights course on June 10 and 11. The scheduled dates for 2012 are: Training School: February 15 to 18 (Manoir St-Sauveur)

-Basic Training: April 18 to 21 (Auberge Godefroy)

-Regional Council: May 11 and 12 (Taureau Lake)

-Stewards Council: September 21 and 22 (Manoir St-Sauveur)

-Basic Training: October 17 to 20

Action: Yvon (Mediation Course)

b) Human Rights and Science: Pierre-Jacques Ferdinand and Carole Brodeur will be our representatives on these committees and have been informed they are to provide us reports after their committees' functions or meetings.

c) Professional Recognition: Pierre Richard has taken over from Gabriel Drouin on this committee, but will be absent for the next meeting scheduled on March 19.

d) Scholarships: See item #4

e) Constitution and By-Laws: Lyne will be unable to attend the committee's next meeting in Ottawa since it is being held tomorrow and our meeting continues tomorrow as well. She should be able to attend the following meeting scheduled for April 11 and 12.

f) Follow-up with the QFC: See item #13

8- 2011 Regional Council – Update:

Yvon gave us a copy of the draft agenda. We will review the items together. Yvon will ask the Branch presidents and committee representatives to post their reports on the Québec Region website prior to the meeting. The Council time slots will simply be used to provide extra information and answer questions. A vote was taken on whether or not a member of the CLC was to attend. The majority of the Executive voted against having a CLC member attend, primarily because it would be practically impossible for the person in question to address us in French. Therefore, Yvon will ask Linda Martel to come and talk to us about the Member Services Committee and the different services offered by the Institute.
Denis suggested we hold some plenary sessions, including, among others, one on Institute visibility. Item to be considered.
As a result of the changes discussed, Yvon will amend the agenda and table it again.

9– Regional Council Renewal – December 2011:

The current Regional Council's 3-year term ends on December 31, 2011. Yvon suggested that, in the future, the RC term be renewed yearly. To do this, a list of 75 individuals would be drawn up every year based on screening criteria. To have this principle approved, Lyne will prepare a motion to be tabled at the next RC. Amendments should be made to our By-Laws, in particular to 4.8 and 5.2.1, to reflect the intended changes. Furthermore, an addition should be made to mention that the RC Executive would be an official component of the RC. The proposed amendments will be sent out with the invitation to next May's RC.

Action: Lyne (for the By-Law amendments)

10- 2011 QR SC – Follow-up:

The next Stewards Council will be held at the Delta Québec on September 16 and 17, 2011. The Organizing Committee will be composed of Lyne, Steve, Sylvie and Yvon. This year's theme should be: "Les délégués syndicaux : des superhéros! / Stewards: Our Superheroes". Steve and Lyne will act as Emcees, and we will invite some guest speakers, including Ian Girard. Attending members will be given the agenda, as well as another meaningful item. As usual, officers from the Regional Office will review the year's best cases. We will try to organize an activity outside the hotel for the Friday night dinner and we will look at the possibilities we have for hosting an open house Thursday evening for all members living in the Greater Québec City Area. Lastly, we should be able to offer a play, tailored to our needs (TAC-COM Group), as well as a cash gift to one member who promptly confirms registration to attend the SC.

11- Portfolio Assignments for the Québec Region:

Yvon gave us a list of the different regional, national and QFC-related portfolios, as well as the names of the individuals in charge of them. A few changes and additions were made to the list.

Action: Robert (contact the QFCIT person-in-charge)

12- Portfolio Assignments for the EC and Regional Directors:

Yvon handed out copies of the list of portfolios assigned to different Executive Council members and regional directors. It was remarked that few portfolios had been assigned to the vice-presidents.

13- QFC Committee Update:

At our next meeting, Yvon will give us feedback on his request to hold joint events with the QFC Committee, namely more active involvement in the Employee Workplace Wellness Committee, as well as in the organization of a union-management symposium with all the organizations.

Action: Yvon

14- Creation of New Centre du Québec Branch – Follow-up:

Further to the Regional Executive's acceptance of the request to create a new Branch in the "Centre du Québec", all the required information has been sent in due form to Linda Martel in Ottawa.

15- Relocation of Federal Employees – Québec City:

Yvon sent a letter to Nancy Chahwan of PWGSC requesting to be invited to the discussions and involved in the communication plan pertaining to next September's relocation of hundreds of federal employees from different departments into a new building situated on Rue D’Estimauville. A reply from her is expected by February 16, 2011.

Action: Yvon

16- Regional Office Open House in December 2011:

The next Regional Office open house is planned for Thursday, December 8, 2011. The open house will be preceded by an Executive meeting earlier in the day.

17- Team-Building Session:

A team-building session led by Marise Lévesque will be held tomorrow, from 8:30 to 11:45 a.m. for members of the Regional Executive.

18- Other Business:

a) Occupational Health and Safety Training: in order to organize a future OHS training session, the names of interested candidates will have to be sent to Anne Renaud (replacing Magali Francoeur) for compilation.

b) Regional Newspaper: Robert is planning to publish the first edition in fall 2011. Between now and then, he will bring us an example of what the newspaper might look like when published.

Action: Robert

c) Allowance: Yvon would like the annual allowance sent to Regions with fewer than 10,001 members to be increased from $2.50 to $3.00.

19- Roundtable

Benoît reminded us that he had forwarded to us the list of Québec Region Rand members, and he asked everyone to take action in their Branch to reduce the number.

20- Next Meeting and Adjournment:

The next Executive meeting should take place in May 2011, prior to the Regional Council meeting at the Estrimont Hotel. Another meeting is planned for the end of June at Taureau Lake. If it is possible, we might be able to use that opportunity to meet with the personnel of the Regional Office the day before.

There being no further business, Richard, seconded by Steve, moved the meeting be adjourned. Carried unanimously.


Publish Date: 27-APR-2011 11:10 AM
Recent Posts