Stewards play a critical role in our organization. These volunteers act as liaisons between members, the employer, and our union.
The Prairie/NWT Regional Executive recognizes that our members benefit from the many dedicated stewards who work in our region. The size of our Region and the number of work places that are served by our stewards, make it challenging for the Executive and the Awards Committee to be aware of all of the work our Stewards perform.
Not only are Stewards who are worthy of this award professional and diligent in their efforts, but they are required to abide by confidentiality rules. And many of these outstanding people work in the background to resolve issues before they become big problems.
That is why we need your help to recognize those individuals who devote time and energy into making our workplaces better. As a member, you are more aware of the work that Stewards do in your workplace on behalf of our PIPSC members.
We welcome your nomination of a Steward that you feel is worthy of an award.
We would like to recognize these exemplary Stewards at both a Regional and National level. Up to three awards may be presented at the 2017 Stewards’ Council – September 29-30 in Edmonton, Alberta. Two of the awards are reserved for Steward activities: current service and career-to-date contributions. A third award is available for services rendered as an elected official or as a committee member. The Prairie/Northwest Territories Steward of the Year will receive their award at the PIPSC AGM.
To show our appreciation to members for taking the time and effort to fill out the nomination form, we will award one gift that will be drawn from the names of those who submit a nomination form. Remember to include your contact details.
All stewards located within the Prairie/NWT Region. A steward must have been actively performing the duties of a steward for a minimum of one year.
Nominations must come from Regular members. Nominator’s name and contact information (phone number and email) must be included with the nomination form. A completed nomination must include the following information for the steward nominated: full name of the steward as well as their contact information and no more than a 300 word description of the steward’s qualities and successes.
Nominations will be reviewed taking into consideration the steward’s contributions that include some of the following activities:
- Engaging new employees, introducing them to PIPSC, encouraging them to sign a membership form
- Encouraging RANDs in the workplace to sign membership forms
- Assisting members to be aware of the collective agreement; explaining that it was achieved through the efforts of their union; and the articles define their rights
- Participating in, and encouraging members to participate in, the activities of sub-group, branch, group, regional, and/or national constituent bodies and committees
- Engaging in continuous learning and in particular by participating in regional training school and other union related learning events
- Listening to complaints from members fairly, clarifying the problem and providing guidance in the desired outcome
- Attempting to resolve problems informally through meetings with management
- Where necessary, gathering the applicable information needed to present a grievance; guiding the member through the grievance process, and providing them with support throughout the process
- Other activities important to the membership.
Nominations must be sent to Prashila Chand, Edmonton Regional Office, via email email@example.com, no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, August 25, 2017.